Name Changes for Minors
In all name changes for minors, both natural parents must consent to the name change or be notified of the hearing on the application for the change of the minor's name. If one parent does not consent he/she must be served with notice of the application and hearing by certified mail. The applicant is required to serve this notice and file an affidavit of service with this Court. The certified mail receipt return from the post office must be attached to the affidavit.
• This Court may reject any application where reasonable steps have not been taken to locate the parent's address
• The custodial parent is the only parent who can make application to change the name of a minor
• A CERTIFIED copy of the child's birth certificate MUST be attached to the application before the application will be accepted for filing
• A CERTIFIED copy of a death certificate for a deceased parent MUST be attached to the application before the application will be accepted for filing
• If the applicant is not the natural parent of the minor they MUST submit a CERTIFIED copy of any court order establishing custody or guardianship at the time of filing the application
• At the time of the hearing, the applicant MUST also provide proof of their identity by picture identification such as a driver's license
Name Changes for Adults
The applicant must attend the hearing in person. All hearings will be held at the Belmont County Probate Court, 101 Main Street, St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950. The applicant must also provide proof of their identify by picture identification such as a driver's license
• $86.00 - For change of name for adult.
• $86.00 - For change of name for minor (with or without consent of both parents.
Notice of all applications for change of name must be published for at least thirty (30) days prior to the hearing. Publication is in a newspaper of general circulation, there is an additional fee for this publication. Once a name change application has been filed, there will be no Court cost refunds.