Guidelines to Apply
- Both parties of the marriage must apply in person. One party must be a resident of Belmont County. The license can be used anywhere in the State of Ohio.
- If neither of the applicants resides in the State of Ohio, the Court will issue a license only if the marriage ceremony is to take place in Belmont County.
- The minimum age to apply for a license in Ohio without parental consent is eighteen (18) years of age.
Cost – Requirements
- Marriage licenses are $43.00 cash or credit card ($3.00 service fee).
- Applicants must have ONE of the following identifications: (1) A valid driver’s license (2) A state ID or (3) A Birth Certificate and Social Security Card.
- A new Marriage license can not be paid in advance. Marriage license fees can only be paid in person at the time of application.
- If a photo ID does not have a current address, please provide a document that shows your current address.
- If either applicant is not a U.S. citizen, an Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) Visa is required.
- If either applicant has had a previous marriage, a copy of the final decree of the last divorce is required
Solemnizing the Marriage.
- Only a duly ordained minister who is registered with the State of Ohio, a Judge, or a Mayor may solemnize a marriage.
- To register with the Secretary of State or to find out if your minister is registered, please call (614)466-2585.
- The marriage certificate is valid for 60 days. If you are not married within 60 days, then you will have to re-apply. Your fee is not refundable or transferable.
- Each certified copy of a marriage record is $3.00 and can be purchased by, cash, check, money order, or credit card ($3.00 service fee). If requesting a copy of a marriage record by mail, please include your name, date of marriage, a self-addressed, stamped return envelope along with a certified check or money order for each copy requested.
Probate Court Judge Davies will perform marriage ceremonies on the second and fourth Monday of the month based on availability.
Please contact the Court at 740-699-2144 to schedule a ceremony.