Guidelines to Apply
• Both parties of the marriage must apply in person. One party must be a resident of Belmont County. The license can be used anywhere in the State of Ohio.
•If neither of the applicants resides in the State of Ohio, the Court will issue a license only if the marriage ceremony is to take place in Belmont County.
•The minimum age to apply for a license in Ohio without parental consent is eighteen (18) years of age.
Cost – Requirements
• Purchased by CASH ONLY. $43.00
• Applicants must have ONE of the following identifications: (1) A valid driver’s license (2) A state ID or (3) A Birth Certificate and Social Security Card.
• If a photo ID does not have current address, please provide a document that shows your current address.
• If either applicant is not a U.S. citizen, an Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) Visa is required.
• If either applicant has had a previous marriage, a copy of the final decree of the last divorce is required
Solemnizing the Marriage.
• Only a duly ordained minister who is registered with the State of Ohio, a Judge, or a Mayor may solemnize a marriage.
• To register with the Secretary of State or to find out if your minister is registered, please call (614)466-2585.
• The marriage certificate is valid for 60 days. If you are not married within 60 days, then you will have to re-apply. Your fee is not refundable or transferable.
• Each certified copy of a marriage record is $3.00 and can be purchased by, cash, check, or money order only. If requesting a copy of a marriage record by mail, please include your name, date of marriage, a self-addressed, stamped return envelope along with a certified check or money order for each copy requested.
Probate Court Judge Davies will perform marriage ceremonies every Monday from 2:00-3:00pm. Please contact the court to schedule a ceremony at 740-699-2144.